Saturday, August 7, 2010

Reflecting on the Adirondack Classroom

This past week I have been thinking a lot about the time we spent at Raquette Lake. I had a really good time overall. What I learned about myself is that I'm afraid of many things but I need to trust in myself and others in order to overcome those fears. The team building we did (along with the ropes course and zip line) was very challenging but I proved to myself that I could do it! I knew if I hadn't done it, I would have regretted it. Tim, Karl and many others were there to give me words of encouragement, talk me through things as well as give me some sass (which always helps!).
I'm actually looking forward to being a teacher now which surprises me. I used to feel there were so many challenges and red tape that I already failed my students even before I met them. Now I realize it's the little things I can do that will make a difference. Big achievements are great but slowing down and spending more time outside and letting my kids see my own joy of learning will make a world of difference to them and me.
All the ideas we shared were interesting and I hope to implement some of them into my own classroom in the future. Outdoor education is important for tons of reasons and I will be making sure my kids have the time they need outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment