Wednesday, July 28, 2010

7/28 Day 4

The Wild Center and the Adirondack Museum were fun and very interesting but I didn't think we had enough time for both in one day. I do think that both would be fun and educational to bring students to... maybe if I didn't live so far away!
The Wild Center was unique and full of life! It was small but neat to try to absorb all the information we were seeing, hearing and feeling. The VTS presentation was neat but I have a hard time believing that we couldn't do most of it outside or in some other place that we could enjoy more of the Adirondacks and not the inside walls of a building.
The point of this course is to show us the things we can do to help get our students outside and doing things to make them more aware of our environment and the problems we are facing.
The Adirondack Museum was really cool to see and experience. There was so much to see that I didn't get to it all which made me sad but what I did see made me want to spend a lot more time there. I love to learn the history of places and the people and I hope to instill this love to my future students as well. Learning where we came from and what happened long ago can help us today on so many levels. Students need exposure to this kind of history to get them involved and interested so our history is not forgotten.

On a brighter note, I think I've decided what to do for my project... I don't know whether Cornell does student scientist data collection for information about Cayuga Lake but I will be finding out if they do. Then I would like to do a lesson/field trip having students find the GPS location of where we will be taking data, etc.... (more to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment