Friday, July 23, 2010

Hello!

Being a grad student, I had heard of classes being taught up in the Adirondacks and thought that would be a cool experience. I never thought that I would actually be able to take one of those classes myself so when Beth Klein told me that The Adirondack Classroom would fulfill one of my requirements, I thought that was great!

Initially, I thought I would be a good teacher because I care a lot about others and I love watching people learn (whether they are children or adults). My passion for teaching has been less than stellar since my sophomore year in college. The program was so intense that I became filled with feelings that I would never make a good teacher for many different reasons. I completed the program but was set that I would NEVER teach. The three years I took before going to grad school helped me to realize that my passion for teaching never died, it was just pushed out of the way by worry and doubt. Through some of the courses I've taken (grad) as well as subbing, I think I will actually look for a teaching position once I've graduated with my masters. My passion is slowly returning. The children of today are our future leaders, what and how we teach them now will affect how our tomorrow will look and I want to be a positive influence in that.

My professional goals in teaching are to never stop learning, educate other teachers and staff and keep an open mind. There are always things that need improving and I want to be the most effective educator I can be. Sometimes I get too focused and get tunnel visioned but I will try my best to stay open and alert to other possibilities and thoughts even if they are "outside the box" in my opinion.

It's hard for me to say right now if I will make a career in teaching. I love to educate those around me but it's hard for me to say I will WANT to go to the same classroom every day, every school year for decades and decades. If I do make a career in teaching, I will have to be one of those teachers who is always on the move, whether it's field trips, just going outside, etc. I definitely think I want to stay in the education field but time will tell if I make a career in teaching.

I can't say I have too make goals for this class and my week in the adirondacks. All the "doom and gloom" reading we did has put a damper on the hope that this week will be tons of fun so I'm keeping my expectations low... =( I have no idea what to expect but I guess I would like to be outside exploring something or another everyday and I would not like to be stuck inside unless it's pouring out. I would like the learn more of how I can incorporate the outdoors into my future classroom and how to properly inform children about what is happening in the Adirondacks as well as the world without making them horribly sad or distraught. Those emotions don't create change.

Ok, enough of my babbling. See you all in a couple days!

No comments:

Post a Comment